When i come across an article titled “6 Powerful Questions That Will Change Your Life Forever” i gotta at least skim over it, right?
Ever one for introspection, i’ve been considering the state of my place in the world for as long as i can remember (which is pretty long – i’ve got a good memory for the most part).
As a man for whom 40 is looming on the horizon, with no wife/gf or kids and having recently moved to Austin for a new job, i’ve had more time than usual to delve into the why’s of my existence. In many ways, this is a net positive situation because it speaks to the general abundance we enjoy in society. Without any real struggle for survival day-to-day, there is room for esoteric reflection on what author Daniel Pink describes in his book “Drive” as the three elements of the motivation formula: autonomy, mastery and purpose.
So, that’s a good thing, right?
At any rate, i thought it would be fun, useful and enlightening to answer those six life-changing questions for myself.
Question No. 1: What do i absolutely love in life?
The guide for this question reads as follows:
List anything that you love about the world and the people in your life. Think about any activities that get you excited and enthusiastic and make you feel most alive. This can be absolutely anything: music, sports, cooking, teaching others, learning, watching movies—anything. Within your love for these things lies deep passion.
So, a list! Big fan of lists here. A pretty easy way to start this project as well. This list isn’t going to be in any order other than that in which the items on it cross my mind.
- Dungeons and Dragons
- My tuxedo cat, Cosby
- Writing and copyediting
- New York City
- Walking in the woods
- Sunshine and warmth
- Overcast days
- Comic books and superheroes
- Getting lost in music
- Engrossing serial television and dramedy films
- Trying new foods
- Making lists
- Seeing another side to an issue (and being shown by someone else)
- Making people laugh
- The ’80s
- No need for an alarm clock
- Talking with my closest friends Melissa, Dan and Brett
- Endless possibilities
- Geeks are cool now
- The beauty of human connections
- Even though that’s the way it goes, sometimes it goes the other way, too
- The vast and myriad ways humans can communicate with each other
- Technology (most of the time…)
- Mentoring from Anup Kumar
- 1960’s-era science fiction
- Pizza, tacos and sushi – the 3 greatest foods platforms
- Self-examination and introspection
- Gaming conventions
- Mega Man
- Star Trek TOS
- Headlines and deadlines
- Colorful socks
- Courage on any scale
- People who do their own thing and stick with it
- Sentimentality (and cheesiness)
- Making due with what i have
- Rewards of hard work
- Encouraging others
- Forward movement in life
That feels like a good place to stop. When i started, i had no numerical goal, but somewhere around the high 30’s i felt like 50 was a nice number.
i’m curious to see how things turn out after answering the remaining five questions. Since i’m doing this “in real time” (i.e. i haven’t pre-written my answers yet) i’m looking forward to whatever discoveries i can glean from them.
What about your own list of things you absolutely love in life?